With the summer sun blazing and school out for summer, here’s 10 fun activities your kids (or grandkids) will love! From camps, to library visits and everything in between, there’s something for everyone in and around West Villages.
1. Sports Camps: Located close to home, our friends at Plantation Golf and Country Club offer golf and tennis camps geared toward the little ones, at every skill level. Pros will provide instruction on learning the fundamentals, while infusing age-appropriate team building and play skills.
2. Segway Tours: Do you have a little explorer on your hands? Tours are offered in Venice and Sarasota and provide participants the fun of riding a Segway, while learning about and viewing historic sites.
3. Baseball Game: Batter’s up! Everyone loves the fun and excitement of live sports! Get your family in the baseball spirit with a 20-minute trip down to Port Charlotte for a Charlotte Stone Crabs game. There are promotions every game, and the team does a fantastic job providing kid-friendly entertainment.
4. Library Visit: The newly opened Shannon Staub Public Library in North Port offers a wide variety of classes and activities for all ages. From dance workshops and an anime club to chess club and a Lego club, there is plenty of fun to be had for children with a variety of interests.
5. Park Time: Local parks in Sarasota County and the City of North Port offer amazing views, trails and amenities the whole family can enjoy. Many also sponsor organized programs and events throughout the summer months.
6. Adventure Puzzles: Organized activities like the Escape Rooms Unlocked in North Port is a blast for kids and adults alike! Crack the code and solve the mystery as your team works through one of six different 60-minute brain teasing adventures.
7. Selby Garden Experience: Did you know Sarasota is home to a tropical rainforest? The Ann Goldstein Children’s Rainforest Garden at Selby Gardens offers an interactive space for children of all ages to explore and play. Kids will enjoy the waterfall, forest pool, canyon, canopy walk and rope bridge, as well as several research and education stations where children can discover plant and tropical rainforest exhibits.
8. Dining Out: For food and fun visit Snook Haven restaurant on River Road during their “Kids’ Night” offered Thursday’s from 6 to 8 p.m. They provide games and family-friendly music and entertainment. Arrive early and rent a canoe or kayak to enjoy the scenic views of the Myakka River.
9. Art Classes: The Venice Art Center and the North Port Art Center both have art classes. North Port offers 10 different age-appropriate art activities each week Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. through August 3. The Venice Art Center offers art camp summer sessions, as well as summer classes geared toward teens.
10. The Children’s Garden: Located in the downtown Gillespie Park neighborhood of Sarasota, this two-acre garden playground is geared toward younger children. Featuring a pirate ship, fairy garden, butterfly garden, giant chessboard, scalable dragon, theater stage, dress-up station and art studio, there’s something for every personality! Daily activities, classes and stories are offered at the amphitheater.
What are your favorite kid-friendly summer activities? Whatever you choose to do, there’s no doubt that this summer will be packed with plenty of fun and lifelong family memories!