Later this summer we open a new park in West Villages Florida off River Road between West Villages Parkway and Tamiami Trail. The 32-acre park will include nature trails, wildlife observation areas and a dog park with room for man’s best friends both large and small. This week we are announcing a couple of contests to get all of you excited about the new park.
Dogs play a powerful role in people’s lives – from children to the elderly. We believe in giving our residents a safe, friendly environment in which their dogs can run and frolic with other dogs because we know it will bring joy.
Pet Tales: A Short Story Contest
To celebrate the opening of the new park, we are engaging all West Villages residents to learn more about your furry friends.
Every pet owner has a story about the funny quirks or miraculous deeds of their dogs, cats, and birds. Maybe Rover the Rottweiler saved a school bus full of kids. Maybe Cuddles the Calico learned to bark at the letter carrier. Perhaps Polly the Parakeet still sounds like your ex-husband who taught the bird a bunch of bad words.
You have been telling your pet’s stories to your friends and family for years. Now is your chance to share it with the world.
Some guidelines to give you focus.
- Your story must be about a pet that belongs or belonged to you – pet must be a prominent part of the story.
- The short story must be contained to fewer than 2,000 words.
- The short story must be typed and sent to us digitally in a word document or the body of an email – no handwritten stories.
- Stories will be judged on their heart, humor, and storytelling. Judges will be a team at West Villages Florida.
- You must be a resident of West Villages Florida (Sarasota National, Grand Palm, IslandWalk, Gran Paradiso, Renaissance, The Preserve or Oasis) to win.
Stories must be emailed to [email protected] by June 22, 2018, at 5 p.m.
In addition to a fabulous $100 gift card prize, the winner will have his or her pet short story published on the MyWestVillages.com website in the blog section and will have their story published on the program for the grand opening of the new park later this year. Winner will be announced in the summer.
Second and third place finishers also will get gift card prizes of $50 and $25. Other exceptional pet short stories also will be considered for website publication under your name. We retain the right to publish stories and photos.
Decision of the judges are final.